Part 1 – How to write a press release (with real-world examples)
What is a press release and what’s its purpose?
Let’s break it down to the basics; a press release is an official announcement from a company, organization or individual, providing information about a newsworthy event. The goal is to gain media coverage by sending the press release to journalists, bloggers, and influencers.
They’re often one of the main components of a well-balanced PR and media strategy, alongside other mainstays such as guest articles, expert comments and opinions, and media appearances.
But earning media coverage is just the means towards bigger-picture objectives, which are usually one or more of the following:
- Build brand awareness. You can reach your target market very effectively through earned media.
- Increase your legitimacy. Crucial for startups. Potential customers or investors need to have faith in your business, positive media coverage can really help with this.
- Gain referral traffic. Media coverage generated from a good press release, especially when talking about a new product or service, can generate referral traffic.
- Increase backlinks. This can be an effective way to combine PR and SEO, but this depends on a few factors. We’ve written a guide, explaining when press release backlinks are good for SEO.
When should I write a press release
So as discussed above, press releases are used to share and communicate news about important company announcements. The most common press release announcements include :
- Company launch/startup launch
- Securing funding
- New product, service or territory launch
- Winning or renewing a partnership
- Publishing research findings
- New hire
- Winning an award
- Customer or user acquisition milestone
- Upcoming event
What news is press release worthy (and what isn’t)
A common mistake many companies make is to issue press releases when they have nothing newsworthy to announce, often dictated by an arbitrary press/outreach calendar cycle. The golden rule we always stick to with our clients is: